Being a psychomotor stimulant it stimulates the central nervous system. Modalert decreases the feeling of fatigue and increases motor activity. Along with this, there is another class known as hallucinogens including tetrahydrocannabinol, lysergic acid diethylamide, etc that also increases motor activity. It is considered a first-line agent for the treatment of narcolepsy.
What is narcolepsy?
It is a relatively rare sleep disorder that is characterized by uncontrollable bouts of sleepiness during the day. It is sometimes accompanied by catalepsy, a loss in muscle control, and paralysis of strong emotions like laughter. This sleep-wake cycle is disturbed leading to an apparent perception of something not present.
Include amphetamine, armodafinil, atomoxetine, caffeine, cocaine, dexmethylphenidate, methamphetamine, modafinil, theophylline, and varenicline.
Taken orally and distributed well throughout the body. It is better to take it daily at a regular time as changing time without a doctor’s suggestion leads to overdosage if taken before the daily time. Peak levels occur after 3 to 4 hours of administration.
Developed in France in 1970 and 1995 it was approved by the U.S. food and drug administration. After 2000 it was used for treating obstructive sleep apnea.
Mechanism of action:
Remains unclear, but may involve the dopaminergic and adrenergic systems. It causes dopamine reuptake inhibition which leads to the release of orexin neuropeptides and histamine causing an arousal state.
Dopamine and narcolepsy:
There is the hormone melatonin that makes you feel sleepy. Dopamine antagonizes the effects of norepinephrine which plays an important role in the production of melatonin.
The amount that reaches circulation when introduced into the body is more than 80 percent. It undergoes extensive hepatic metabolism and metabolites like modafinil acid and modafinil sulfone get excreted in the urine. Elimination half-life ranges from 10 to 15 hrs.
The probability to develop addiction and dependence is very low but a chance to develop physical dependence is there so it is classified as a controlled substance.
Dosage forms and strength:
Taken orally in the strength of 100 mg and 200 mg. The dosage depends upon whether it is taken for narcolepsy or obstructed sleep apnea. Up to 400mg can be given but there is no evidence that an additional dose creates additional benefits.
- As it reduces the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives like patches, implants, rings, and intrauterine devices so consult your physician regarding drug interaction with Modalert.
- As it leads to congenital malformations so women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant should not use it.
- Consult your doctor if you are a hypertensive or cardiac patient as it leads to an increase in blood pressure.
- Not to use it with alcohol as the combination of these leads to blackouts.
- Not to use grapefruits with it as it potentiates the side effects of Modalert.
- Helpful in post-operative patients as it makes patients energetic and alert.
- Helpful in recovering patients from general anesthesia.
- Reduces excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Helpful in treating obstructive sleep apnea.
- Does not creates a euphoric state.
- Known as a smart drug as it helps in focusing and removes lethargic state.
- Being a motor system stimulant reduces depression and makes a person feels relaxed.
- Helpful in a condition in which there are unusual and severe mood changes.
- Helpful with other antipsychotics in treating symptoms like false perception, distorted thoughts, and hallucinations.
- Increases mental actions of acquiring knowledge and understanding thought, experience, and the senses.
- Leads to a decrease in appetite and weight loss.
- Liability to develop tolerance and dependence is there.
- Chances to develop constipation or diarrhea are there so to prevent laxatives are prescribed with it.
- If a person has some dermatological issues it is suggested to have a consultation with a doctor before starting it as it sometimes leads to rash or blisters.
- This leads to blurry vision and painful eye movements.
Having more positive aspects as compared to negative aspects it is safe to use and has high efficacy than other drugs in this class. Well, that was all. Hopefully, this brief article will help you a lot.